Negative calorie foods: Introduction
Negative calorie foods may sound like something that came out from a science fiction novel; however, there are a group of people who claim that these actually exist. The basic premise is that there are some foods that take a lot more calories to digest as compared to the calories that they provide. As such, even if you eat a lot of these foods you will not get bigger, instead, you will actually become slimmer.
Now that really sounds amazing, and if it’s true it would mean that you will never have to get hungry and be on a diet stage for a long time. All you will have to do is to look for these foods and stock your refrigerator with them. If only chocolates where a negative calorie food, then a lot of us will certainly be happy.
Negative calorie foods though are very different from those that have empty calories. You should know that the word empty in that term doesn’t mean zero, but rather it means that these are foods that have a huge number of calories without providing any valuable nutrition to the human body. Which means if you want to lose weight you will still have to eat something that is nutritious.
What are the foods that are considered to be negative when it comes to calories?
1. Celery – 100 grams of celery only contains 16 calories. This vegetable is packed with folate, vitamin c, vitamin a, and has a lot of fibers. You can definitely eat a lot of this all throughout the day.
2. Cucumbers – Just like celery cucumbers contain only 16 calories for every 100 grams. They are highly nutritious and can certainly give you good hydration especially on a hot summer day.
3. Berries – Half a cup of berries only contains 32 calories. This is a very good news for people who are craving for sweets every now and then. They are known for having good amounts of antioxidants and they’re also good for your heart.
4. Grapefruit – This fruit, of course, contains a lot of vitamin c but it is also a known fact that for every 100 grams of grapefruit, you will only get about 40 calories. You might want to consider changing your orange juice to this instead.
5. Carrots – For those people dealing with hypertension carrots can definitely help. They also contain just about 41 calories for every 100 grams.
Do they actually work?
Eating these foods are highly recommended especially if you are trying to lose weight. However, you should still strive for a balanced diet and do exercises for your body. Experts acknowledge the benefits that these foods can provide but they still say that it should not be your only solution when trying to achieve your fitness goals.